Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

AEN would be so proud.

Published by cck at 10:28 AM

I love WalMart. I know I shouldn't - but I do. There was a point in my life where the greeter, Mr. Louis, knew me by name. (Yes, seriously).

So today, reading the paper, I see that Chicago is taking a great stride in alleviating my guilt for shopping at the Big Box. The City Council is mandating an ordinance for a living wage for employees of companies with at least $1 billion in annual sales and have at least 75,000 square feet of space.

We should all be able to agree that the minimum wage isn't enough money to support a family. It just isn't. I'm not sure it's enough money to support one single person.

AEN used to tell me I shouldn't shop at WalMart; I disagreed. Almost every retailer treats their employees without consideration. If I stopped shopping at WalMart - what would happen to their bottom line? I won't lie though, I felt guilty picking up my Gatorade, stockings and Tide. I knew that the employees who were ringing up my random purchases didn't have a chance at the good benefits I enjoyed.

And, we know how I feel about the importance of benefits.

So, I think Chicago has a good idea -- we need to hold corporate giants accountable. It's about time.

0 comments: