Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Turkey Recap

Published by cck at 12:17 PM

My husband and I traveled down south for Thanksgiving. It was fantastic -- absolutely lovely to spend four days with our family. First, let's talk food... I actually got to help in the kitchen, which was pretty cool. I learned how to make Nana's stuffing, which according to the spouse was a make-it-or-break-it deal. If I couldn't make sausage stuffing, I'm pretty sure we'd be in couples counseling.

I like Thanksgiving. It's a big deal in my book - a major holiday. This was the first one I spent with a family that was not my family. And in doing so, I realized that my family was much bigger than I imagined.

Friday entailed sleeping in and a long boat ride. Nothing like fresh air and sunshine to follow a huge meal. I wish I'd brought my camera. K. and I sat in the front of the boat, snuggled up against the cold wind. I had a long and meaningful conversation with my mother-in-law. The more time I spend with them, the more I feel the knots of family tension (my own baggage) unwind, unfurl, ease. The more time I spend with myself, I become who I am.

Ohmygoodness, and the pies! I made dutch apple (passed down from my great-great-grandmother), pumpkin and cherry. Yes, I'm domestic. Dude - my motto is if you're going to eat pie it should be really good pie.

0 comments: