Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Election Day!

Published by cck at 9:13 PM

Floridians will flock to the polls tomorrow to vote in primary and local elections.  One of my favorite people told me that voting was akin to taking communion.  It's important; it's ritual.

And this August 24th, I won't be voting.  Don't worry - I already voted...  for the first time I voted by absentee ballot.  And it was weird.  I missed the whole rigmarole of casting my vote.  I did love all the political mailers I got - I felt seriously popular.  Each day my mailbox was filled with full color, full bleed hope.

Yes, Ms. Dozier I am voting for you.  No, Ms. Headley-Purdue, I do not equate a vote for you with honoring WWII vets.  Yes, Mr. Minor, I thought your full page cash cow was impressive.  And I voted for you, too.  The Hons Aronberg and Gelber, I feel slighted that I didn't get one piece of mail.  Maybe you knew I  was all about Senator Dave?

I love the business behind elections, I love the dreams of candidates, I love every volunteer who wakes up early to wave signs on a street corner.  I have a dog in the fight this year - K. has been working for the Steve Stewart for Mayor campaign.  And, because of it - I took local politics a lot more seriously.

There's not a Democratic way to take out the garbage and there's not a Republican way to lower utility rates.  (I mean, other than the best way is usually the Democratic way).  (Heh).  I wish everyone luck tomorrow.  I hope the folks I believe in get the nod.  I hope the rain stays away.  And I hope everyone enjoys their communion with government.

0 comments: