Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Apple Crack

Published by cck at 11:11 AM

I've been obsessed with The Pioneer Woman Cooks lately. OBSESSED. She cooks with BUTTER. And BACON. And lots of DELICIOUSNESS. I am super ashamed to say that the first time I read her recipes, I wasn't so crazy about them. I didn't own a skillet and I think - well, I'm blaming it on - kitchen gadget inferiority.

I now have a skillet. And I have joined the ranks of millions who follow this woman. Have I mentioned bacon and butter? Some recent expeditions into her recipe vaults have yielded successes like Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies, Blue Cheese Onion Goodness, Caesar Salad, and oh sweet goodness - Onion Straws. Do not get me started on the Firecracker Shrimp.

Last night I ventured into her dessert repertoire... Apple Dumplings, or as K. renamed them: Apple Crack.



First, this was an EASY recipe. I didn't even measure anything. One apple, one can of whomp crescent rolls, a stick of butter and some Mountain Dew. (Oh, some cinnamon and vanilla too).

Let's break it down:
2 Granny Smith Apples
1 Can Crescent Rolls (I used reduced fat - don't know why...)
1 Stick of Butter
2/3 c. Sugar - or more, to taste
1/2 tbs + Vanilla
1 tsp Cinnamon (I added some nutmeg and allspice)
Pinch of Salt (because I used unsalted butter)
1/2 c. or less Mountain Dew

Core and peel the apples. Slice each apple into 8 slices. Wrap each crescent roll around two slices of apple (*original recipe calls for one slice per roll, I wanted a little more apple). Place each wrapped apple in a baking dish that's small enough so the apple dumplings fit in snugly. Think cinnamon rolls snug.

In a sauce pan, melt the stick of butter. Dump in the sugar and stir just a bit - you want it lumpy. Add in cinnamon, salt and vanilla.

Now here come's the OMG part. Pour the butter mixture OVER the dumplings -- gooey, delish and decadent. Now add the Mountain Dew - I sort of poured it in between the dumplings.

In to the oven they go - 350 for 40 minutes. I suggest putting a cookie sheet under the cooking dish to avoid splattering. (Dear Lord! The splattering!). Try not to pull them out of the oven with your bare hands.



CRACK, I tell you. I made eight dumplings last night -- and they're all gone. I had two. K. is obviously a crack whore.

It's chilly in Tallahassee today -- good thing I have some more apples. And crescent rolls. And BUTTER!

0 comments: