Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The dress.

Published by cck at 8:38 AM

Planning a wedding is tricky. There are so many people to navigate - and I'm not talking about just the florist, caterer, DJ or reception director... I'm talking about family. At least, that's what people tell me.

For the most part, I think I have been inordinately blessed by the family I am marrying into -- they are by far the most loving, laid-back and accepting people I think I have ever met. In this whole wedding planning thing, they are supportive but not suppressing; excited but not overwhelmed (or overwhelming) -- and although I seem to be planning a fairly non-traditional bash, they are truly on board.

So, after talking at Tailgate this past weekend to some of my married girlfriends, I felt rather nervous. Despite the fact that I think ("think") we have covered most of the details - from the flowers to the handsoap to the photographer to the groom's cake, I was worried. They winked at me and told me that sooner or later the pre-wedding anguish would descend upon me.

Yeah, I don't get it. I mean, I just don't. Perhaps it's the fact that my parents aren't involved or maybe that I used to plan large events for political people? I'm not sure - you flip through some magazines, scour The Knot for days on end -- and I swear, if you've been to a wedding or two, then you should have some knowledge of how you'd like yours to look.

Granted, I never really planned my whole shebang until I met "The One." (And then, I'll confess, I was practically planning from, like, Day 3 of knowing the man, but I digress...) As a child I wasn't really allowed (or it just didn't cross my mind) to plan for my wedding. I was too busy playing other things - thinking out and pretending to be other things ranging from She-Ra to the first woman Senator from South Carolina (yes, I was a weird child). So, all of a sudden when it dawned on me that I was going to plan the biggest party I'd ever throw for myself -- it was huge!

And fun. I've absolutely adored picking out all the little details that will be (at least I hope) fairly unique. The flowers have been fun to decide on -- although the florist almost passed out when I banned roses. And picking out the caterer and deciding on a menu is fantastic.

However, as this post gets rather lengthy... I was feeling rather anxious at picking out the dress. I'm not sure why. It's me, right? Hi. I love to shop. Why was this one last detail a stumbling block?

Well, I went shopping yesterday. I suppose it was appropriate -- I had a very good lunch at Andrew's with a really impressive new elected official. And, after that I checked out a bridal shop in downtown Tally.

Here's the thing, I think -- we're definitely doing this wedding on a budget. Considering the fact that my parents didn't want to contribute - and we're hefting most of the bill ourselves, I didn't want to drop too much on the dress. But, after trying on three dresses at David's Bridal a couple weeks ago, I needed a stiff drink -- it looked like someone (probably blind) had used a gluestick to adhere a doiley to stiff polyester. I'm not saying the dresses aren't nice - but for what they were charging, I felt a little depressed about my options.

So - back to the place in Tallahassee. I tried on a couple of dresses. I knew the style I wanted, I knew the general color and feel... I tried on The Dress and - I'll admit - I knew. I figured it out. It's very me. I'm quite excited. And, it's way way way under the budget I set for myself.

Fabulous.

0 comments: