Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

My last night in Tallahassee.

Published by cck at 8:00 PM

Last year - on August 8, 2006, it was 8 pm and I was leaving this town - driving back to Columbia. I did not want to leave. I was scared to death of returning, petrified of the major shift my life was about to take. I had a ring on my left hand and I had made a promise.

It was a Tuesday night. I bought an eggplant pizza from Decent and met my new fiance in the park at Lake Ella. It was raining and we ate in the back of his new car. I needed to get on the highway - up I-10 to 295 to 95. Up through Savannah all the way into South Carolina where I would merge onto 26 back to Columbia. Six and a half hours. And I was procrastinating.

I got in my car, my brand new shiny little car, and headed home. I was exhausted - emotionally and physically. I drove for ever - returning to my rented room in Shandon at a little past 3 am. My roommate, if you could even call her that, had put the keychain locks on the doors and it was nearly four before she woke up to let me in.

I went to work early, left even earlier. And that was the end of that story.

I got back in my car - which was loaded up with various things: good shoes and shorts and party dresses and one interview suit. I had mascara and some random cosmetics. I brought a picture of my grandmother. And I left.

I left Columbia, the life I had known, my state. I had left once before, but this time, I knew I wouldn't be returning. And, it was amazing. Difficult? God yes. But so very amazing.

Tomorrow, I will have been living in Tallahassee a year. Not quite a resident or a voter -- but very much living here. Wow.

0 comments: