Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Further emphasis

Published by cck at 4:38 PM

I just so love the below post (Maureen Dowd) -- I wanted to offer a little more for emphasis:

You were raised by a single mother on food stamps — where does a guy with eight houses who was legacied into Annapolis get off calling you an elitist? And by the way, if you do nothing else, take that word back. Elite is a good word, it means well above average. I’d ask them what their problem is with excellence.

Emphasis added, duh. I'm so sick of Republicans owning the things I hold dear: hard work, religion, self-sacrifice, honor and family. Yesterday at our tailgate I was asked why I bothered working - earning money only to give it away. The brilliant young men who sit in travel chairs, swigging their coors light or drinking from a solo cup have this idea that being a Democrat means that I'm some bleeding heart. I don't plan to die from a pulmonary edema and I'm not living with one either.

This election - like every election in my mind - is important for a slew of women's issues I hold dear. But, it's also crucial to right the whole Reagan experiment of trickle down bullshit. I need more than a trickle. And so do my neighbors - and the people on the south side of town - and the people in the northeast. And the good, hard working Americans that live in every state - east and west, north and south.

Good God. Give me a break. I watch Army Wives. And I want to get past a candidate who claims foreign policy experience because of her distance from Russia. (Still surprised Charlie Crist didn't try that one with Cuba). And I want to get past a man who can only define honor by something he did thirty years ago. I want quality health care so that I feel confident bringing children into this world. I want food that's safe. I want police, firefighters and other workers who ensure my well being to be compensated fairly. I want teachers to be valued as the pillars of a community. I want to travel without threat. I want the America I believe in. I want parents to be able to work one job to support their families. I want milk to be affordable. I believe the bigger question is, what about that do you not agree with?

0 comments: