Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I have trouble spelling "Inaugural."

Published by cck at 10:35 AM




Yesterday, the State of Florida held its Inaugural festivities. For the first time since I moved here, it was cold. Cold, like I needed a big coat and gloves cold. It was awesome.

I missed the Prayer Breakfast, but made it to the ceremony. A friend got us great seats to watch all the folks take the Oath of Office. Fortunately, we were -- by total chance and luck -- sitting with Alex Sink supporters. I was completely unimpressed with gun salute, too much unexpected smoke. The fly-by, however, was rather nifty. The kids sitting next to me were completely wowed.

Governor Crist's speech was uplifting, hopeful. I have rarely held high hopes for Republican leaders, and am really beginning to change my mind. I haven't gotten to the point where I would vote for one of them - but I am amazed at the change in party makeup in this state.

In South Carolina, Republicans would rather castrate than heal, divide than tolerate and hide than solve the problem. In the same vein, South Carolina Democrats would rather point fingers than come up with solutions, exclude rather than build and wring their hands than come up with a message that reaches the lives of their constituents. In no way am I claiming Florida partisans are without their weirdnesses. And perhaps it's because I haven't been here long enough, but I feel that moderation is a much better direction to take.

Anywhere, any state - moving forward is better than moving to the right or the left.

(and ps. I spelled Inaugural incorrectly everytime. Thank goodness for spellcheck.)

0 comments: