Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Fired without cause?

Published by cck at 12:05 PM

I love all things French. So, when looking over this morning's NYT (which is one of my favorite Sunday indulgences), I was suprised (well, not really) to see that there was a mightly protest to a new French law.
Also being a new law junkie (betcha didn't know that one, now did ya?), I wanted to find out what had the youth of France up in arms , or banners and signs as it seems...

There's a new French law that allows employers to fire those employees under 26 without cause, after two years of employment. Being an employee in an "At-Will" state (and new environ), I was shocked to see that France allowed so many more allowances to its employees. Well, again, not shocked - but I do find the issue of the employee's age quite interesting. Why under 26?

Especially when those under the age of 26 have a 23% unemployment rate? How is that going to help unemployment? As a recently Told-To-Leave-Work-Immediately person, I'm not sure how I feel about firing without cause. I think it's a basic right of an employer... but why restrict it to only those under 26?

2 comments:

Sheba Brooks Moore said...

maybe because individuals under 26 are most likely being supported by their parents

cck said...

Maybe. Maybe - but is that right?
I could be 35 and still being supported by parents -- does that mean I don't have a right to earn a (decent) wage?