Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Monday, November 06, 2006

The Big Weekend.

Published by cck at 7:36 AM

In addition to all the puppy drama in our house, it was a big weekend period. It was Parent's Weekend at FSU which means that parents and grandparents were visiting. CGK didn't understand why I was nervous...
1) First time future in-laws visited our house.
2) First time I've cooked for all in-laws.
3) Ahhhhhh! First time in-laws visited our house!
I never ever ever thought I would say this out loud, let alone write it in my blog, but there's a certain part of me that wanted to prove that I could take care of my family. It hit me as I was making a cake with candied orange peels; it hit me that I could be both a feminist and strongly desire to care for my family. The two really aren't that different or far apart - not that I thought they were. I just didn't realize that the two ideals could co-exist so peacefully.

We had a great time: tailgating at nine am, watching TV, having brunch on Sunday and even the requisite parental trip to Lowe's to pick up the random home improvement device. I heart these people. I had no idea I would fit in with another family so well. It's pretty darn nifty.

ps. The cake was a-mazing. Dark Chocolate cake with a dark chocolate Grand Marnier ganache. And even the bittersweet orange peels on top were tasty. Sometimes, I surprise even myself. :)

0 comments: