Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Cakes made of spite...

Published by cck at 8:46 AM

It's early-ish on Saturday morning. It's Homecoming at Florida State University and I am (obviously) hard at work making pig candy and pecan pound cake and spinach dip. Well, truth be told, the spinach dip was made yesterday morning which is how this whole thing got started.

I am a Carolina girl (go ahead, you know you want to hum, "best in the world"). And in being a Carolina girl who not only graduated from Carolina, but also spent some time in the small world of Ole Miss, I hold certain things in high esteem. Some of them being the fashion that is Pearls with Jeans, I will not drink a beer out of a can without a koozie - and most importantly, Tailgate is a precious, precious occasion that only comes at certain points in the year. Tailgate must be cherished.

So, last night, a fellow tailgater mentioned that she was bringing spinach dip. Whoop-de-freakin'-do. First, if you know me, you know that I can be extraordinarily bitchy. Shocking, I know. And I shouldn't have been. There's more than enough people for two bowls of spinach dip to go around. Heh, I bet hers has water chestnuts in it. (I don't particularly like water chestnuts). Regardless, I was bent and determined to out do her this morning.

Not that my pig candy doesn't have a following. I hear there's already a Facebook group about the stuff... But, I don't know - it's the last Tailgate of the season for me --- we'll be in South Carolina next weekend, and I wanted it to be special. Insert pout here.

So, I started to make the said pound cake last night. I pulled it out of the oven looking golden, smelling good enough to tempt the Olsen twins. However, this morning, when I started to slice it for Tailgate, it crumbled. K., seeing the destruction of my hard work and culinary efforts, simply said, "Cakes made of spite always crumble."

See above for my response. Yes, that's spinach dip. On his face.


He's right though. But, that - even me being spiteful and bitchy at seven something this morning... That's Tailgate too.

0 comments: