Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

This Alito Character...

Published by cck at 8:26 AM

"The debate over Judge Alito is generally presented as one between Republicans and Democrats. But his testimony should trouble moderate Republicans, especially those who favor abortion rights or are concerned about presidential excesses. The hearings may be short on fireworks, but they have produced, through Judge Alito's words, an array of reasons to be concerned about this nomination."
NYTimes 1.12.06 (Full Opinion)

As a Democrat, I'm inherently concerned about a Republican President's nomination for the Supreme Court. But what stumps me is - shouldn't everyone? I realize I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little late with this one and maybe it really was Kate Michelman's MTP appearance that spurred me on, but shouldn't the nation be up in arms with a judicial nominee that believes "very strongly" in "the supremacy of the elected branches of government" on a job application? Shouldn't the nation be alarmed that our system of checks and balances could be undermined - like, alot?

And Alito doesn't really have a lot of experience protecting the Little Guy. I mean, this nation is primarily Little Guys, right? I liked Biden's quote (I liked his whole opening statement), "And the debate raging today is about whether we'll continue along that path or whether our courts will continue -- and whether our courts will continue to be one of the places where society puts the little guy -- and I know this is not something you're supposed to say -- the little guy on the same footing with the big guy. The one place that David is equal to Goliath is in the Supreme Court." I want David and Goliath to be - at least - on equal footing. And really, Alito hasn't shown that he's willing to do that... at all.

I realize I'm not a lawyer - and surprisingly, most of the people in this nation aren't attorneys either - but we love the law. If we didn't would Law & Order have thirty-six spin-offs? Why aren't we calling our Senators - shouting from the rooftops, "This man might be really really bad for our country!"

I've decided I am. I'm calling our Senators today - I'm writing letters to them both - and I'm going to say that this man should not be confirmed. I realize I might be a little late to the ballgame. (I'll probably have to fax them). But really - should a man threatening our reproductive rights (since Roe v. Wade isn't, according to him, "settled law"), should this man be confirmed?

What do y'all think?

0 comments: