Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Monday, October 16, 2006

In case you were wondering

Published by cck at 6:15 PM

It was a bit of a shock to me too. I met a man, got engaged not even three months later and within a few weeks I had dragged all of my belongings to Tallahassee.

Plus, within all of that, I am a Democrat and he is a Republican (of the strongly opinionated type of politicos).

Well, we met at a wedding. He was my groomsman and I was his bridesmaid. At the time, I had no idea it would be a preview. I overheard him talking about the etymology of Klingon, I misspelled "Happiness" (use your imagination), and we shared a Grape Bomb (Grape Vodka & Red Bull - I had no idea!). It was a wedding weekend - but instead of the brief affair staying in Orlando, we never stopped talking.

We had many things in common and many things that were different. At the base of it all, we held the same values - the same goals - the same dreams. His morals matched mine. And that was what mattered. We quibbled over politics. And, for the most part, our banter is entertaining (or so I've been told).

I'm sure some folks were confused or figured I was being impulsive. After all, it was damn quick. But - sometimes, you just know. You just know. And we've been through health problems - from cancer to surgery; we've been through more than enough family drama; we've been through moving more than once. I think we're set to make a go of it (and live through many more dramas and problems and even more happy times). I've dated a lot of men and more than my share of boys. I've even been in love with some of them. But, I was waiting to meet Chris.

At some point during my junior year of college, I made a list of all the qualities I wanted to find in my partner. They ran the gamut of desirables -- from liking red wine and wearing bow ties to being spiritual and driven. I wanted a man who wore flip flops, understood Southerners and was well educated. He had to like mushy English movies and have an affinity for football. He had to be smart and witty and be family-oriented. Suffice it to say, the list was long. He met every single one... well, save for being a Democrat.

I love him, not for meeting a list - but because of who is. His very essence - BAM! hits me at various moments of the day and I realize how very lucky I am. I found him - through all odds, I found him.

So, now I've left South Carolina (which I swore I would never do again) and I wake up every morning knowing that I've finally made the right decision.

0 comments: