Twitter Follow Me

follow me on twitter maybe we should try this whole tweeting thing. all the cool kids are doing it.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Perpetuation of the Species.

Published by cck at 6:03 PM

I'm getting married.
As if you couldn't figure that one out. I'm trying so hard not to get wrapped up in the details; I'm trying so hard to remember that admist all the administrative details there is something huge going on. I am joining with a man, come what may - for better or for worse - in times of want and in plenty -- I am planning the very ritual that will unite us as a unit.

This weekend, the two of us traveled up to Savannah to meet his aunt and his grandparents (they were visiting from Connecticut). I am often overwhelmed by the reality that I am going to be married. I kept my eyes open - looking around the room while we had cocktails. My fiance's grandparents drink Manhattens. And I looked around the table when we went to dinner - overlooking a gorgeous marsh and an even prettier sunset. And I looked around and saw what made my fiance.

I've always been a mushy girl - sappy, even. So, as I looked at the generations that surrounded me, I saw set of grandparents who raised a daughter in Stamford, who married a man from New Jersey after falling in love with him at Emory. And those two brilliant people raised a son outside of Tampa. That man chose me to help him make another generation. It's amazing how it keeps going.

I'm not planning on having children for a while, but I know that when I do - the family I am going to marry into will supply a rich and vibrant history for their education.

My God, I am blessed.

0 comments: